WHAT CAN CBD DO FOR ME?
CBD, short for Cannabidiol is a natural remedy used to treat several common ailments.
CBD is not a psychoactive cannabinoid. THC(tetrahydrocannabinol) is the main psychoactive cannabinoid found in cannabis. Not being psychoactive makes CBD an appealing natural remedy for those seeking relief from pain and other various symptoms without the mind-altering effects of marijuana or pharmaceutical drugs.
CBD oil is extracted from a cannabis plant and then refined to be used in a wide variety of products. It can be added to carrier oils to produce tinctures and massage oils as well as blended with lotions and butters for other skin products.
Here are a few health benefits of CBD oil.
Scientists have discovered certain components of cannabis, including CBD are responsible for pain-relieving effects. The human body contains a system called the endocannabinoid system(ECS) which regulates a variety of functions including appetite, sleep, pain, and immune system response. The body produces endocannabinoids, which are neurotransmitters that bind to cannabinoid receptors in our nervous system.
Studies show that CBD may help reduce pain by impacting the endocannabinoid receptors, reducing inflammation and interacting with your neurotransmitters.Other studies have shown a combination of CBD and THC to be effective in treating pain related to multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
May Alleviate Cancer-Related Symptoms
CBD might help reduce symptoms related to cancer treatment like nausea, pain and vomiting.
Studies have shown that patients being treated for cancer that use a combination of CBD and THC experience a significant reduction in pain compared to those only using THC or other pharmaceutical drugs. You can read about a case study here.
Can Reduce Acne
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, CBD might help treat acne by reducing sebum production.
There have been a few studies that found CBD oil prevented sebaceous gland cells from secreting excessive sebum, produced anti-inflammatory actions and prevented “pro-acne” agents like inflammatory cytokines. You can read about a few studies produced here and here.
Although a few studies have shown CBD to show promising results, there needs to be many other tests and testimonials for this to be a rock solid benefit of using CBD.
May Benefit Heart Health
Recent studies have shown CBD to provide several benefits for the circulatory system and heart including the ability to lower high blood pressure.
A recent study has shown that people taking CBD have reduced resting blood pressure compared to those taking a placebo. The same people were also administered a stress test. The people who had taken CBD experienced a smaller blood pressure increase than a normal response in these tests. Research suggests that the stress and anxiety reducing benefits of CBD are responsible for its ability to help lower blood pressure. You can read an interesting study on this here.
Can Reduce Anxiety and Depression
Anxiety and Depression are common mental health disorders that can have devastating impacts on health and general well-being.
Both anxiety and depression are most common treated with pharmaceutical drugs which often cause a number of side effects like agitation, insomnia, drowsiness, sexual dysfunction and headache. These drugs can also be addictive and lead to substance abuse.
CBD oil has shown promise as a treatment for anxiety and depression and without the adverse effects is leading many who suffers from these disorders to become interested in this natural approach.
These qualities are because of CBD’s ability to act on the brain’s receptors for serotonin and a neurotransmitter that regulated mood and social behavior.
Several Other Potential Benefits
Though many more studies are needed, CBD is thought to provide the following health benefits:
- Antipsychotic effects: Studies show that CBD may help people with schizophrenia and other mental disorders by reducing psychotic symptoms. Check out this article.
- Anti-tumor effects: Recent studies have shown that CBD has demonstrated anti-tumor effects as well as slowing or stopping the spread of breast, prostate, brain, colon and lung cancer. You can read about it here.
- Substance Abuse Treatment: CBD has shown to modify cicuits in the brain related to drug addiction. Check out this interesting article on CBD reducing morphine dependence and heroin-seeking behavior.
- Diabetes Prevention: Studies have shown that treatment with CBD reduces incidence of diabetes and significantly reduces inflammation. Read about it here.
- Neuroprotective Properties: Researchers believe that CBD’s ability to act on the endocannabinoid system and other brain signaling systems may provide benefit for those with neurological disorders. Many treatments include disorders like epilepsy and multiple sclerosis. Check out this article on how CBD reduces spasms with multiple sclerosis and this article on how CBD reduced seizure frequency in patients with epilepsy.
Though CBD is generally recognized as safe, it may cause adverse reactions in some people.
Side effects noted in various studies include:
- Changes in appetite and weight
CBD may also interact with other medications. Before using CBD, discuss it with your doctor to ensure your safety and avoid potentially harmful interactions.